- Best Curling Iron for Thick Hair Reviews
- What is the Definition of Thick Hair Texture?
- Buying Guide for the Right Curling Iron for Thick Hair
- 4 Tips for Making Your Thick Hair Hold Its Curls
- Thick Hair Curling FAQ’s
- Best Curling Iron For Thick Hair Comparison Chart
- A Few Final Thoughts on Curling Irons for Thicker Hair
Are you aware that even though your thick hair looks wonderful you are at a big disadvantage when it comes to curling it? This information is 100% true. Thick hair is harder to curl than other types of hair because of the extremely strong protein bonds in its molecular structure. Since you don’t need a lengthy scientific explanation let’s just say it takes a special curling iron to reshape and curl thicker hair.
It’s because of this fact we have decided to write this article. We will point out the factors that make for the best curling irons for thick hair and give you some other information about curling thick hair too. We will even do several curling irons for thick hair reviews. These reviews will highlight 6 curling irons that are fantastic at getting thicker hair curled. By the time you are done reading this article, you will know exactly the type of curling iron it will take to curl your thick hair in a hassle free way.
Here is what we feel are the very best curling irons in the beauty marketplace for curling thick hair:
- Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express Ion Curl XL 1-1/2 Inch Barrel
- PRICE $$$$
- Barrel : Ceramic coated
- Barrel Size : 1 ½”
- Maximum Heat : 400°F
- Conair Double Ceramic Curling Iron
- PRICE $
- Barrel : Ceramic coated
- Barrel Size : 1”
- Maximum Heat : 375°F
- XARA 6 IN 1 CURLING IRON SET
- PRICE $$$
- Barrel : Ceramic tourmaline coated
- Barrel Size : ½”,1”,1½”
- Maximum Heat : 450°F
- BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Spring Curling Iron
- PRICE $$$
- Barrel : Nano titanium
- Barrel Size : 1”
- Maximum Heat : 450°F
- Infiniti Pro by Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Wand
- PRICE $$
- Barrel : Ceramic tourmaline infused
- Barrel Size : 1” to 1 ¼”
- Maximum Heat : 400°F
- Remington CI96X1B T|Studio Silk Ceramic Wide Styling Wand
- PRICE $$
- Barrel : Tapered conical barrel and silk ceramic infused barrel
- Barrel Size : 1″- 1½”
- Maximum Heat : 410°F
Best Curling Iron for Thick Hair Reviews
1. Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express Ion Curl XL 1-1/2 Inch Barrel[amazon_link asins=’B0051BZIZK’ template=’imageright’ store=’htools-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’b9aad813-ff4f-11e7-b89b-c1ec50d08270′]Paul Mitchell is a trusted name when it comes to hair care products. It does not surprise us that they make one of the better curling irons for thick hair. Two things really stand out about this curling iron as far as curling thick hair is concerned. It has the high heat (400°F) needed to make thick hair want to curl and the larger barrel surface (1 ½” barrel size) so more of your hair gets that high heat.
It also features a large size spring clamp that is great for catching and holding thicker hair and its barrel is ceramic coated so it heats very evenly. This curling even has a temperature lock feature so it comes on at your preferred heat setting each time you go to use it.
2. Conair Double Ceramic Curling Iron[amazon_link asins=’B006Z43V5G’ template=’imageright’ store=’htools-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’c4ec7768-ff4f-11e7-afc2-b7511ac04519′]Here is a curling from Conair that has not one but two doses of ceramic coating on its barrel. That makes the high heat this curling iron generates spread out evenly across the entire barrel length. That means there will be no damaging hotspots on the barrel no matter which one of its 30 heat setting you put it on (max 375°F).
Other nice features on this Conair curling iron include an ergonomically placed thumb rest and a generous size spring clamp to catch your thick hair so you can twirl it around the barrel. You can also take this curling iron with you anywhere you travel in the word because of its handy dual voltage capability.
Read more: Conair Double Ceramic 1-inch Curling Iron
3. XARA 6 IN 1 CURLING IRON SET[amazon_link asins=’B01LDVDLMI’ template=’imageright’ store=’htools-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’d14e53a4-ff4f-11e7-be0f-17f405d5a180′]If you like a little versatility when you curl your thicker hair then take a closer look at this curling iron from XARA. It features 6 interchangeable barrels (3-tapered, 3-standard) that will give you many thick hair curling choices. When you combine all these barrel choices with its high 450°F heat it results in some very efficient thick hair curling.
This curling iron will help protect your hair as you curl it too. This is due to its 8 HeatBalance® barrel design that is also ceramic tourmaline coated. The barrel heats evenly so it does not damage your thick hair and your hair retains more moisture too. This is all part of XARA’s exclusive MoistureLock® Technology.
4. BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Spring Curling Iron[amazon_link asins=’B0047WYO1I’ template=’imageright’ store=’htools-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’db4af026-ff4f-11e7-aa16-a520d239f3b4′]You don’t get much stronger names in electric hair care products than BaBylissPRO. Curling irons like this one are the reason why. This curling iron has every feature you need to easily style your thick hair. It all starts with its 50 possible heat settings (max heat 450°F) that give you the ability to break your hairs strong protein bonds and allow it to curl.
It also features great Nano titanium barrel coatings which help the barrel heat evenly and keep your hair from drying out. There is even a turbo heat switch on it to give those stubborn thick hair spots a little extra incentive to curl for you.
5. Infiniti Pro by Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Wand[amazon_link asins=’B006SRYHZS’ template=’imageright’ store=’htools-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’e60ab576-ff4f-11e7-ba81-156c15ca43e3′]With the 5 different high heat settings on this Conair made curling iron you will have no problems styling your thicker hair. The barrel on it will heat up as high as 400°F. The barrel is also nicely ceramic coated to help protect your hair as you use this model curling iron.
Among its other nice features is its versatile tapered barrel design (1” to 1 ¼”). This will give you many curl size options as you use it. Safety is paramount with this curling iron also as it has a built-in automatic shutoff and also comes with a protective styling glove. To top it all off it comes with an outstanding 5-year limited warranty.
6. Remington CI96X1B T|Studio Silk Ceramic Wide Styling Wand[amazon_link asins=’B00BB8ZHJE’ template=’imageright’ store=’htools-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ef12b7e3-ff4f-11e7-af1c-3d8736e2545f’]Remington has done a great job on the design of this curling iron. With 6 heat settings (270°F – 410°F) it gives you the ability to curl even the most stubborn thick hair. It also has silk ceramic infusion which will help keep your hair from drying out as you curl it.
Some other really nice features that it has are its 1″- 1½” tapered conical barrel and its digital heat selection. It even comes with a 4-year limited warranty and an included protective styling glove. You will have some great looking curls once you master how to use this curling iron on your thick hair.
What is the Definition of Thick Hair Texture?
There seems to be a lot of confusion when people try to describe to others their hair type. Words like thick and coarse are not meant to be interchangeable when people describe their hair but they often are used that way. We will attempt to clear this up for you some.
There are basically 4 main ways that hair is described by. They are as follows:
This is the closeness of the hair follicles to each other on your head. The description of thick hair falls under this category. The terms used to describe hair density are thin, medium and thick.
Diameter refers to the thickness of a strand of your hair (not to be confused with ‘thick’ hair). Hair is described diameter wise as fine, normal or coarse.
The shape is just what a strand of your hair does at the end of it. Descriptions of hair shape include straight, wavy, curly and kinky.
Elasticity is very simply how much your hair can bend and be stretched without breaking. It mainly concerns the health of your hair.
Testing hair density
Ok, so how do you tell if your hair density is thin, medium or thick? Well, you could go to a clinic and have your scalp analyzed under a microscope but there is a simpler way you can tell. Stand in front of the mirror and grab a clump of your hair and gently pull it out straight.
Once that hair clump is pulled taught then look at the base of it. If you can see a lot of your scalp you most likely have thin hair. Seeing just a little of your scalp means you most likely have medium density hair. When you can’t see hardly any scalp at all your hair will most likely be considered to be thick.
Buying Guide for the Right Curling Iron for Thick Hair
We just discussed the different ways that hair is described. Each hair classification has certain characteristics which take a special kind of curling iron to handle. It’s no different with thick hair.
What to Look for When Buying a New Curling Iron for Thick hair?
Here are the features and characteristics of a curling iron that should be considered when purchasing it to use on thick hair type:
- Temperature range
You have to remember here that hair can be thick and fine at the same time. Fine hair is very susceptible to heat damage and thick hair needs some pretty high heat to reshape and curl. So you have to be careful here when finding a temperature range that works.If you have fine, thick hair you will want to curl it with a temperature that is around 350°F. Always start out at lower temperatures and work your way up to a heat setting that allows your hair to curl easily but does not damage it at the same time.For thick coarse hair, you will most likely need a higher heat setting in order to get your hair to curl properly. Most likely it will be somewhere from 375°F to 450°F. Again be cautious and start out at a lower heat setting until you fond the one that allows your hair to curl nicely without damaging it in the process.So if you have fine, thick hair and a curling iron that you are looking to buy does not have lower heat settings (300°F to 350°F range) then it’s not for you. The same goes for thick, coarse hair. You will need a lot of heat to curl this type of hair so any curling iron that does not have a heat setting of 400°F or above.
- Barrel coatings
A good mineral infused barrel helps not only people with thick hair but people with any type of hair. Barrel coatings have several functions that they perform the best of which is keeping thick hair from getting damaged as you curl it. Many of these barrel coatings are used in combination with each other which is even better. (For example, You will see curling irons when shopping that have ‘titanium ceramic’ barrel coatings).Here are some of the most popular barrel coatings and what their main purpose is:
Titanium coated barrels have two main functions. One is that these type of coated barrels heat very fast. Those who are always in a hurry to get ready in the morning greatly prefer titanium barrels because they are ready to use in 30 seconds or less. Thick hair also slides across them very easily so it does not get crimps as often.
This is probably the most common type of barrel coating. That may be because it is the least expensive to apply and works well. You will find it on both high and low-end curling irons. It is often used in combination with other types of barrel coatings.Ceramic coated barrels help prevent damaging barrel hotspots because they distribute heat throughout the barrel very evenly. They also make for a very smooth barrel surface so hair slides across them easily as you curl it.
This type of barrel infusion helps generate negative ions. These are important because they help balance your hair’s natural chemistry to help prevent frizz and split ends. They help hair return it’s very important moisture too.
This barrel infusion is said to be 25% – 100% more effective at helping your hair retain moisture than tourmaline crystal infusion is. Nano-infused barrels also will give your thick hair more shine than other barrel coatings will.
- Others good barrel coatings
Don’t discount other barrel coatings that have some nice benefits as you curl your hair either. Such barrel coatings as gold, pearl and silk will all help keep your hair from getting damaged as you curl it.
- Barrel diameter
This really has no bearing on whether your hair is thick or not but it’s still a major consideration in the curling iron choice you will make for your thick hair. It has more to do with the length of your hairstyle than anything else.Smaller diameter barrels work better on short hair and larger size barrels work better on longer hair. You also have to factor in the size and tightness of the curls you like. Smaller barrel curling irons make tight spiral curves and bigger barrels on curling irons make looser more voluminous curls.Keep in mind that bigger diameter barrels also have more surface area to heat your hair with. This is sometimes a big bonus when it comes to curling your thick hair. This is just a little something to think about before making your curling iron purchase choice.
No matter what type of hair you have safety should always be a consideration when it comes to curling iron choices. Internally you should look for such things as a curling iron that has an automatic shutoff. This will go a long way toward preventing mishaps from a curling iron that you forget to turn off. Cool tips and shields between the barrel and grip will help prevent you from accidentally scalding yourself.The company that you buy your curling iron can also help safety by adding external items that do this. Safety stands for resting a hot curling iron in when it’s not being used and including a protective styling glove will enhance the safety of a curling iron when it’s being used.
Curling iron technology has gotten pretty sophisticated in the last decade and prices have gone up with that higher level of technology too. That means if you have a curling iron that cost over $100 you should get some peace of mind with that purchase in the form of a good warranty.Look for a curling iron model that has the longest warranty possible and one in which it covers everything on that curling iron. The warranty can also be a great way to determine which of two similar curling irons you decide to buy.
4 Tips for Making Your Thick Hair Hold Its Curls
Are you wondering how to make your thick hair hold its curls better? Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Trim your hair a little
One of the biggest contributors to curl loss is your thick hair’s natural weight. You can lessen this weight and your curls will hold longer if you trim some off the length off of your thick hair.
- Pin your curls after you make them or give them a cool blast with your blow dryer
One of the main reasons your thick hair curls may not hold is that your hair is still hot and pliable after you pull the curling iron off it. To keep this heat in your hair from contributing to curl loss you need to cool your hair down. You can do this by rapidly cooling it with your blow dryer on a no heat setting or pinning your curls and letting your thick hair cool naturally.
- Use hair products for hold
Hair sprays really are effective at holding your curl in after you have styled your thick hair. Just be careful not to overdo it with them. Try medium hold hair products as opposed to super high hold hair sprays that can make your hair look plastic.
- Keep your hair healthy
Most professional hair stylists will agree that healthy hair holds a curl better than dry or damaged hair. So taking vitamins for your hair and being careful not to damage it with heat when you are styling it can sure be helpful when it comes to curling your thicker hair.
Thick Hair Curling FAQ’s
- Question: What curling iron barrel size will work best on my long thick hair?
Answer: When you have thick long hair you want more barrel surface area in order to curl it. That means you will need a barrel size that is 1” or bigger. Keep in mind the larger the barrel size the looser your curl will be.
- Question: I have fine hair but it’s very thick. Does that mean I should use the highest heat setting on my curling iron?
Answer: Absolutely not. As a matter of fact, considering you have fine, thick hair it’s better to start out at a lower heat setting and adjust it up until you find a setting that curls it easily without damaging your hair.
- Question: Should I buy the highest price curling iron to get the best results when I curl my thicker hair?
Answer: Not necessarily. It’s not the cost of the curling iron that makes it work well. Remember sometimes you pay extra for a brand name too. Just concern yourself with the features a curling iron has when purchasing one. A curling iron that has multiple heat settings has a smartly designed barrel and has crystal infusion will style your thick hair well despite how much it costs.
You may also like top-rated curlers of 2019!
Best Curling Iron For Thick Hair Comparison Chart
|PRODUCT||PRICE||BARREL||BARREL SIZE||MAXIMUM HEAT|
|Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express Ion Curl XL 1-1/2 Inch Barrel||$$$$||Ceramic coated||1 ½”||400°F|
|Conair Double Ceramic Curling Iron||$||Ceramic coated||1”||375°F|
|XARA 6 IN 1 CURLING IRON SET||$$$||Ceramic tourmaline coated||½”,1”,1½”||450°F|
|BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium Spring Curling Iron||$$$||Nano titanium||1”||450°F|
|Infiniti Pro by Conair Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Wand||$$||Ceramic tourmaline infused||1” to 1 ¼”||400°F|
|Remington CI96X1B T|Studio Silk Ceramic Wide Styling Wand||$$||Tapered conical barrel and silk ceramic infused barrel||1″- 1½”||410°F|
A Few Final Thoughts on Curling Irons for Thicker Hair
Too many people just pick up any old curling iron and expect it to work on their type of hair. As we have tried to point out in this article if you have thick hair you need certain features on your curling iron in order to do it well. These include medium to high heat, helpful barrel coatings and the right barrel diameter for your hair length.
We have tried to help you by doing several curling irons for thick hair reviews on the best ones in the marketplace. If you purchase any one of these curling irons it will give you an advantage when styling your thick hair. If none of these suit your taste then follow the advice we gave you in the curling iron for thick hair buying guide. Either way, you will end up purchasing one of the best curling irons for thick hair.